(ASCEND) Re: Release - patch & incremental versions agains ??

I like Cisco's system for developing patches quite a bit.  Ascend could
start by releasing 7.0.0 of the code whenever they want to add new
features and in the mean time continue developing software for 6.1.X.
Cisco for example has 11.3 of their IOS available but most people use
11.1.X or 11.2.X, which as far as I know are still being developed and
stabalized.

Let people upgrade to the latest version if they want more features.
That, or following Cisco's model they could download a version of software
that contained a certain feature group or groups that they wanted.

At any rate, I also don't understand the "if it ain't broke don't fix it"
problem here.  A problem that occured in a given release should never
occur again.  OSPF dying, stacking not working properly, IP or memory pool
leaks, etc. shoudln't have to be revisited every few releases.

I certainly like a lot of what Ascend has done and their products aren't
garbage or anything, but stability is what's keeping me from upgrading
from 5.0Ap42 -- which we've had over 120 days of uptime with.

Give me stability and v.90 in a good release and I won't upgrade again for
a long, long time unless I absolutely need a feature of bugfix.

-Rob-