Re: (ASCEND) Unable to Route

At 11:07 PM 8/4/98 +0200, Marcel Roorda wrote:

>  We've been seeing the same problem crop up our stacked
>machines. Could you give me some more information about
>the way you've got stacking configured?
>
>  - How many boxes are in a stack group
>  - Are they both running 5.0Ap42
>  - How many PRI's have you got connected
>    to the boxes, and how high is the utilisation
>  - What kind of routing have you got configured
>    on the boxes

We've seen this problem in 2 of our busiest POPs.  One has a 5 box stack,
the other has 6.  2 PRI's per box. except on the last box in the 1st POP,
which has 3.  All boxes running 5.0Ap42.  RIP2 send/receive.  All users are
ISDN, mostly 128k dialup.  the 5 box stack runs at 80-90% utilization all
the time,  the 6 box stack a little lower, maybe 60%.

When this happens, it's only 1 box that goes flaky.  when i connect w/ 1
channel everything's fine, pings work.  As soon as the 2nd channel is
broght up to that box, pings stop and the connection freezes.  then after a
minute, the 2nd channel times out and drops.  Then pings on the 1st channel
start up again.  Resetting the affected box fixes it.  This happens when
the 2 channels fall on different boxes and 1 of the channels falls on the
one flaky box.  if the channels fall on 2 other boxes, or the same box.
The MP connection works normally.

This doesn't happen too often.  About 3 times in the past 2 months.  But,
we have high dollar users connecting to these boxes, (128k dedicated, etc)
and I'd prefer it not happen anymore.  We've been running 5.0Ap42 since mid
january and before 2 months ago, the code has been working perfectly.
---
kevin

ISDN/Commercial Support Dept                 kevin.b@flash.net
Flashnet Communications                         [Quake is law]