Re: (ASCEND) V.90 and older modems/X2/K56flex issues

On Friday, August 07, 1998 14:58 Peter Clausen <peter@cstone.net> wrote:

>> Since taking the plunge to V.90 (6.1.0) on May 31st,
>> and 6.1.3 on June 25th, a lot of users have had problems with:
>>
>> 1. Connecting, 2. Connect speeds, 3. Getting dropped
>>
>> These issues mostly affect older modems and X2/K56flex
>> units that have not been upgraded to V.90.
>>
>> Telling a client to buy a new V.90 modem is not always
>> a popular solution.
[snip]

We found similar situations ...

After finally upgrading to 6.1.3 on MAX 4000 class boxes,
we had users that even had modems with v.90 code having
problems like you mentioned.

After a couple of weeks of analysis (disconnect codes,
working one-on-one with certain users, etc.) we found
that 99% of the problems disappear when you flash
the client side modem with the "latest" version of the
v.90 code from the modem manufacturer!

Taking this approach has resulted in most, if not all,
or modem issues going away.  Albeit some users
have difficulty in figuring out how to get a flash and
apply it, and some modem mfgrs have horrible
procedures for obtaining the code.

In summary, we're running the latest modem code
in the 6.1 tree on the Maxen, have LQM off, and
strongly suggest users run the latest v.90 code
on their end.

Bob McCormick