(ASCEND) Starting a connection programmatically

I'm working on a program that will start up my P75 automatically when I call it. To do this, I'm monitoring my syslog file for incoming calls. When one comes in, I want to make a certain profile active, then bring up the connection.

Bringing up the link is easy (ping), but activating the profile proves more difficult. My question is this, must I use the telnet interface to activate this profile? Or can I do it some other way? If not, am I stuck sending escape sequences and carriage returns to manually navigate through the menu system?

TIA,
Jerry