Re: (ASCEND) Max 4xxx/6xxx and 6.1.7

I'm surprised that this is a new problem for people; we've had this for a
long time.  I don't think it's a routing issue, it sounds a lot more like
the "spiraling death" or "connection pause" problem.

Essentially, something stops working and the customer decides to hang up
and retry.  I think it is a modem problem or higher-level protocol problem
on the client's end.

When we see this problem happen, we try things like pinging their modem.
Sometimes it "wakes up" and will work as long as we ping it from our end
constantly.  Sometimes one ping will "jump start" the modem.  Sometimes it
won't work at all.

(If the ping trick doesn't work, the customer usually still sees their
receive lights flash on the modem or in DUN/whatever when we try to ping
them.  When they try to ping us, the transmit lights flash.  However, in
either case they still don't get a response.)

I had one case where the customer had two computers and this only happened
consistently on one of them.

This used to happen a lot with USR Sportster 28.8 Internals or those
crappy Sportster Vi(?) modems (the small external black box modem) that
MacMall/PCMall were selling for dirt cheap (probably because no one else
wanted them-- I swear everyone that had one of those modems was surprised
when I was able to describe their modem to them over the phone).

I wouldn't rule out a routing problem although when I have seen this
happen in the past the routes are still in place properly.  I'm also not
able to ping their modem if I'm doing it from the MAX itself.

This is one of the classic unsolvable modem problems.