Re: (ASCEND) LAN security errors

On Sat, 22 Aug 1998, Jim Logan wrote:

> At 05:25 PM 8/22/98 -0500, you wrote:
> >On Sat, 22 Aug 1998, Technical Support wrote:
> >
> <snipped out a part>
>
> >Yeah, if they're running some version of Windows9x or NT, make sure that
> >they don't have any of the following checked in the properties for the
> >Dial Up Networking connection: Log on to network, Enable Software
> >Compression, Require Encrypted Password, Use LCP Protocol Extensions.
>
>  What's wrong with enable software compression? I admit log on to network
> wastes a user's time during the login process. Most of the others than 'rq
> encrypted password' are NT based and I agree with all your observations on
> those settings.

I don't know what's wrong with it.  In some version(s) of Win95, it causes
the system to behave in funny ways that are fixed by unchecking it.  This
is something we discovered by trial and error and I figured that it was
pretty much universal when some guys who make easy install CD's told me
that those settings were toggled off by default in their software (after I
called to ask because there wasn't a place on the form to check whether or
not we wanted them enabled, like there was for the Enable WINS
Resolution).

<snip>

> >We have a wonderful util that we use called radauth (originally from the
> >Livingston radius, but modified greatly in-house) which allows tech
> >support to verify that a password is correct (it returns the error
> >message, if any, or the shell assigned to that account).   Sometimes
> >people's passwords aren't what they think they are.
>
>  Using Linux, you can just sit at the prompt and try log in as the user -
> if that fails, then their pw is wrong (at least according to the system). I
> don't really see any need for an extra utility for that feature!

One of the features is that it echoes what you type for the password.
That way you can visually verify that you typed what you thought you did.
This is why we use it instead of just trying to telnet in as them.

- J-Mag Guthrie

| The only function of | Brokersys                 | Talk sense   |
| economic forcasting  | 12703 Vets Memorial, #106 | to a fool    |
| is to make astrology | Houston, TX 77014         | and he calls |
| look respectable.    | +1-281-895-8101 (voice)   | you foolish. |
|                      | +1-281-895-8109 (fax)     |              |
|  - John K. Galbraith | http://www.brokersys.com/ | - Euripides  |