(ASCEND) Slowest K56 ever?

What is the slowest speed that anyone has seen on a K56 modem?  I
conducted an interesting test with a bewildered customer.  We took his
PCMCIA k56 modem (an actiontec of some sort), and his laptop, into the
office with the MAX where we got 50K (we have PRI's).  The next day we
took it to his house where we got only 28.8.  :( Then we took it to his
office, where we also got only 28.8 (all this according to what win95 says
upon connection).  Now, my question is, has anyone ever seen a K56 modem
perform this badly?  His regular 28.8 modem gets 26K on his home phone
line, also.  Has anyone ever heard of something like this?  I never saw a
Kflex modem get less than about 33-35K.  Did we screw up his configuration
somehow or does this actually happen from time to time?