RE: (ASCEND) 6.1.3, 4048, connections and disconnections (*Update*)

Thank you Jim Logan for the reply and the quick answer, it was right on
target.

After talking with Ascend for close to an hour, it was determined that the
4048 in question be cleared and reloaded.  After doing this , the 4048 has
become stable.  I have not ran into the TCP/IP error messages since the
fclear and then an NV and then tftp'ed the configuration back into the
machine. To anyone out there who is somewhat new to the procedure of fclear
and NV, please schedule downtime for this as it clears out your
configuration and you must reload it back in. If done under a live
environment, your callers will not be able to access the machine until you
have reloaded the configuration.
The pool leak issue was also brought up and yes, I need to address a few
more ip's in the pool.  Presently, we are assigining only enough to cover
all the ports.  I have also made sure that Auth Pool = No as per you,
others here in the group and Ascend.  It has since been around 12 hours and
I have not heard a complaint, nor have I encountered the errors. It is now
coming up in the magic hours of access and we will see how the box handles
the callers.

Sincerely,

William
Intellistar Support Team

 Sounds exactly like the problem we were having (same Load and Version)
cause of the IP Pool Leak problem.. What happens (and you might check this
in terminal mode) is that the IP Pool gets totally depleted, esp if you do
allow MP/MPP callers, and 0 IP's are left.  In the dial-up users view, the
problem is reported (as you state) "Dial-up Networking Could not negotiate
a compatible set of protocols".  Since working with Ascend, and don't use
Ascend Radius - we use Merrit Radius - Ascend had us turn off Auth Pool=No
in the settings, and problem has not reappeared since.

>Ethernet >Mod Config >Auth >Auth Pool=No

The Default is Auth Pool=Yes