Re: (ASCEND) Frank questions about 6.1.X/V.90 etc.

Rob:

>> Just wanted to run a few things by everyone since
>> the pressure to upgrade to V.90 is ever-increasing.
>> Currently we are running a hugely stable environment
>> with 4 Maxen (4000/4004s) under 5.0Ap42, all have
>> been up now for about 120 days(!!).  We have few
>> modem problems.  Everyone seems to be able to
>> connect pretty well.
[snip]
>> Should I upgrade or not?
>> Recommendations and ideas would be greately appreciated.

We recently upgraded our 4k boxes to 6.1.3, because of
the pressure to support the v.90 code.  We couldn't make
up excuses any more ... our customer base don't want to
hear that we won't upgrade our equipment when other
folks have it.

We were running on the 5 codebase VERY VERY successfully,
with at least one box that exceeded over 200 days of uptime
without a hiccup.  We upgraded to 6.0.x and experienced a
few problems - certainly more issues than ever before,
especially as compared to the lights out and don't worry
'bout it situation we had with v5.

v6.1.3 has been running pretty smoothly ... but we're
also watching each box carefully; multiple times per day.
(We never did this with the old code that was stable.)
I've pretty much accepted that this is what we're going
to have to do - at least for the near term.  Hopefully the
problems will be resolved over time, and we'll get a
release of TAOS that is as good as some of the older ones.

BTW: we're pretty much middle-of-the-road, with
multiple ISDN-PRI trunks, etc.

I'd go with it - keep an eye on your boxes, and continue
to provide feedback here on the list as well as to
your Ascend rep and equipment vendor.

Bob McCormick