Re: (ASCEND) Maxen give users fast busy, or won't answer.

On Wed, 15 Apr 1998, Mike Lewis wrote:

> our system has not been busy.  On investigation, we found that one-half of
> one terminal server (24 lines) {1 PRI} was occasionally responding with a
> busy signal or not responding at all (no modem connect tones after the line
> Any ideas what could cause this problem?

No, but it happens to me as well, running 5.0Ap36.  Since it's happening
on a Max 2000 (and there is only one PRI in the area) I don't really
definitely know if it is the line or the box.  I kind of suspect the box,
because a reboot always fixes it.

My temporary hack is to have a modem dial the MAX's number every so often
(15 minutes is what I'm using, but doesn't have to be) and see if it gets
a connect or a busy.  If it gets a busy then it pages me.  Then I get to
check and see if 1) all the lines are legitimately busy and 2) If not,
whether I want to kick everybody off and reset the system.

(an automatic reset is not an option, since I also suffer from a bug
wherein the Max will not re-establish its default route after a reboot,
forcing me to reset the route manually.  As you can imagine power failures
really disrupt the works...)