Re: hps of classes (class differences)

>  I think some changes to classes would be a bad idea.  Having hit points
> depends on classes could quickly make some classes unplayable.  In
> AD&D, which I play and will use for comparission purposes, mages do get
> very few hit points (compared to the fighter classes) per level.  However,
> AD&D is almost always played as a group, so that mage has several fighters
> protecting him, and thus is not as likely to take damage.  In crossfire,
> this seems less likely (most seem to play solo).  And even if not in
> solo mode, you still have things like large fireballs, icestorms, etc, which
> will do damage to any large group.  And if you are fortunate enough to have
> a line of fighters in front of you, it pretty much means you can not
> cast any offensive spells without hitting your fighter friends.
>
>  I do think that barbarians may need a bit more a bonus than the
> other classes.  This is because the barbarian class (due to its large
> penalty on intelligence) can never really become a spell caster, and it
> seems to me, that spells are really a major part of the game.
>
>  --Mark

I really believe that xfire should be designed around a group,
multi user idea.  I have very high hopes for xfire becoming a
true multi user game, where it is more beneficial, and fun to
play with other people, instead of just "scum maps by yourself."  We
have tried to make maps with a party system in mind (multiple
levers that need > 1 person, monsters with immune physical in
one part of the dungeon, immune magic in another) but no matter
how extreme we go, the same 20th level priest/magic user can
race through it no problem.  I think that class distinctions should
be very major, I would like to see this done realistically though.
For example, mages really should not wear armour.  Do I think
we should force this on them? No.  They should just have severe
penalties for casting and spell regeneration.  I am all for having
time limits placed on wearing/unwearing armour, I think that it's a
great idea.  Anyone know the actual time it takes to get suited up,
like in the SCA?  Somewhere around 30 minutes for light plate time?
Maybe not this extreme, but somewhere inbetween 30 minutes, and running
away from a dragon while I click on my dragon mail to get it off. ;)

I see the whole Int vs Str thing like this.  Lets say a fighter has
a str 20 con 18 and Int 19.  Who decides whether or not this guy
becomes a fighter, priest or mage?  To me, training is the whole
issue.  Maybe the fighter, who trains to weild a sword and shield, has
a very high int, does this mean that he can use magic?  Or does it
mean that he picks up on catapult construction?  Can he decipher
magical runes without any knowledge of them, even though he can
get A's in math?  Int does not imply knowledge of the mystic.
Maybe in the future, the fighter would like to study the arcane, great,
then I think he should have bonuses if he wanted to learn magic, but he
should have to train for it.

Just trying to get my points across in ascii...

Karim