Re: CF: Server Slowness ?

From: Ian Main <imain@netidea.com>

> I'm trying to play a game on whitestar.pyrsonal.org, and I find it
> awfully slow.

> I'm playing on a completely unloaded T1.  ping, traceroute and mtr
> all show a good connection with an average of about 90ms ping time,
> yet the game itself can be very lagged.  It seems to be cutting in
> and out.  It'll be fine half the time, and then very lagged at other
> times.  I've had to wait about 10 or more seconds for keystrokes to
> respond (after which I'm usually dead ;-) ).

> I'm using the Xlib client with -cache enabled. version 0.95.1.

I'm playing there (right now, in fact), and haven't had much trouble.
My ping time is 150-200 (64K-ISDN), rarely a packet lost.  It's a
little choppy sometimes, but I attribute that to my mail and news
traffic hogging the line occasionally.  I'm using the X client (Linux)
with -xbm, but no -cache.

This is the first time I've played on a remote server, though, so I
don't know how the performance I'm getting compares to others.

Aaron
--
Aaron Baugher - abaugher@rnet.com - Quincy, IL, USA
Extreme Systems Consulting - http://haruchai.rnet.com/esc/