Re: CF: what did I do? (so I don't do it again)

Maciej Kalisiak (mac@cs.utoronto.ca) wrote:

> I had a slight misfortune yesterday (it was late, I was asleep): I was
> quiting the client (I THINK I select "Quit Character") and the
> aftermath is that my character is no more. If I enter the character
> name that I used, a new character is generated. Is that what "quit
> character" does? Total extermination? I thought it just bumped him off
> but the latest 'save was still in effect...

No. The idea is that a crossfire character "lives" --- if you do
something, it has been done, and there is no way to undo it (unless
you do something else that undoes the effect). Saving just means that
you want to leave the game and continue playing this character later
on. The 'save command (and the auto-saves) are just there so you don't
loose your character when the server crashes.

This is a hint for the beginners guide: always save yourself after
picking up an object that you want to keep. And save yourself in
"safe" places (i.e. places where you will survive if the server
crashes) when you do difficult maps.

If you could "quit" and restart from an older point in time, it would
be a great builtin way to cheat (so far only the server admin can
really cheat, unless we are talking about bugs. The server admin can
add maps to let other players cheat, but it's still the
admin...). With a "quit and restart" you could do things like "uh, is
that foo cursed? save. Let's wear it... damned, it's
cursed. quit. restart." Or "there are dangerous monsters behind this
door. save. go in. damned, i'm loosing hitpoints too quickly.
quit. restart." Basically you could always save, try something, and

I don't know why so many people expect it to work like this. Are
many commercial CRPGs or action games implemented like this? I know
that Civilization/Colonization allowed this sort of cheating.

Christian

--
Christian Stieber        http://www.informatik.tu-muenchen.de/~stieber