Re: CF: call for java enthusiasts: server time!

Brian Thomas wrote:
[snip]

> Phil writes:
> >
> > 3. This could be java's "killer app", which would bring major good things
> >  both to java, and to crossfire

[snip]

>         I dont think ease of implementation (of the server) is a
>         primary justification for Java, since most people have only
>         an interest in playing, not running crossfire server. [eg
>         The only reason most people currently have worries about
>         compiling/running the server is because we have no true client
>         (yet) that is worth playing].

I have taken CF to a caming convention the last 3 years and it is a huge
success. The biggest problem is the client. Not many people have X, so I
have to agree with Brian. We need a true client that will work (I hate
to say it) under Windows.

The java client is a start. I beta tested the client in the beginning
and it was just to slow for Win95, so I sidelined the testing. This
latest release is better. Not sure if it is better JVM or better code.
But I will be bring the CF to the gaming convention once again and we
will see how it performs.