Re: CF: Long distance transports

Christian Stieber wrote:

> > for free, after all.)  A more complicated approach (also on the TODO list)
> > would be to have ships more like the old ultima approach - you enter the ship,
> > but you can now move the ship along in the water.  Another thing a ways off.
>
> That would be great. In fact, when this is implemented -:) it would
> also allow having things like horses or birds that take through through
> the air etc. that you can use to travel faster (well, I assume it
> would be possible) --- basically a general "archetype" that a player
> can enter and control.
>
> However, I see a slight problem: most ships can accomodate more than
> one player... so maybe a "ship" would be a map, with the player standing
> on some special place being the one in control. Other players would
> have to stand on other places --- maybe their task would be to tell
> the controlling player the required direction, or to put up/take down
> sails (depending on the weather -:)), or to row, or whatever. That
> would be fun --- having a ship simulation inside crossfire -:)
>
> Christian
> [to unsubscribe etc., send mail to crossfire-request@ifi.uio.no]

One possibility may be a ship as a map which looses contact to the
harbour-map if enough gold is droppped on the floor (or somewhereelse).
so either one player can rent the ship for much money or a group rents
the ship and everyone pays its share...

some time later, the ship is connected to another map (maybe via two
teleporters?)

One thing that would really add to fun (in my eyes) are things
like horses. they could speed up travel in some terrains esp. with heavy
load. other terrains may be forbidden (like mountains, dungeons). Up to
that they could add some points to damage and ac or wc to simulate the
effect of a mounted fighter. they could also allow a new attack like
charging an enemy with a lance?

But as i am no CF programmer, i have no idea about how that could be
done... :-(

Another issue: There are some discussions going on about playbalance. In
my eyes (i've only played to about level 15, so i am not experienced
with highlevel characters) one good thing would be to limit the items
you could use. if you couldn't use items which are much more powerful
than you are (perhaps they have something like an own ego), fighters
could not get all that bonus like prot from fire as easy as mages, who
can cast the spells.
Another idea may be to use the wizardry skill or something like that to
determine the success if you use magic staffs/weapons/... . Then people
with low mental skill level (fighters?) would be handicaped.
I think this is a really important point (also many people will not like
it as it makes things more difficult for low level characters with high
level friends). Casting a spell is limited seriously (by level and sp)
but using magic items is in no way limited!

Another idea which comes to my mind is to give wizards/mages some spells
which can't be learned by fighters.
Maybe those magic users have a guild, where they can buy the spells
from?

Markus