Re: Making Classes more distinct (Re: CF: towards 1.0)

> When a new release occurs, than I usually try a new character. I don't have
> time to play days, so most of the character remain on level 8 to 11. With
> not enough money to bye the needed potions to get faster to the next level.
> I consider, that especially for beginners, (and I try to show some people
> crossfire), crossfire gets more and more difficult without getting better
> or more funny. A beginner doesn't know the places, were someone could kill
> a big monster easily to gain much experience.

The point of 'fixing' cheats is that there are places or actions where
a player can get far more exp or stuff than is appropriate.  The
beginner does not know these until discovering them.  From that point
on the game is much easier.  So fixing cheats does not affect the
beginner, but keeps it good for a knowledgable player.

As for buying stat potions, I have never found it difficult to raise
the money.  All is needed is to spend a little time in a room with
lots of generators for a monster that has decent treasure (orcs aren't
a bad choice) and then just keep killing all the orcs that appear.
It doesn't take long to kill a whole lot then destroy the generators
and haul everything to the store.  Where I identify the good stuff and
have enough of each item that I can afford to pay the store to identify
and still make good money.  And that's when I cannot locate a map with
extremely generous treasure.

As for party exp (different thread): I think the real flaw is that
exp is divided evenly.  If there is a party of a level 99 char and a
level 1 char then clearly we do not believe they are equally contributing.
Maybe exp should be allocated according to level (so level 1 gets 1%
while level 99 gets 99%).  That would seem to have a better chance at
allocating exp according to effort expended.

As for repeating quests to get more shots at the final treasure room
with several artifacts, if maps/quests commonly had a secret item in
the treasure room and a check near the end (presumably before the last
big battle) where if player has secret item then is told "You have been
here before.  You are not allowed to be here again." and is barred
from the repeating the final battle (in order to prevent a low level
char from clearing out the treasure room cleared of monsters by the
high level char) then players could not repeat quests after having to
risk themselves in some of maps to learn the secrets.

							sdw