Re: Monster AI for version 1.0 CF (Was: Re: CF: Moving on to implement diseases)

On Mar 4, 12:32pm, Scott Wedel wrote:

> It should be noted that the size of a library is not the added runtime
> requirement.  Only the functions in the library that are used are added.
> CF already links with a number of libraries which are fairly large.  So
> if GUILE has a zillion features which only a few are used by CF then it
> may add very little to CF's memory size.

 However, if the library is very large, it would suggest that the package
itself is very large (ie, longer downloading and configuring time for people
running the server).

 And any such library that is used should be very portable.

> I think the scripting language should be chosen upon what adds the best
> features (power, ease of use and ease of incorporating in CF).  It would
> be a shame to do something just good enough to annoy everyone with it's
> limitations.

 I would put incorporation into crossfire pretty high - it needs to be able to
examine objects and the map around it in a reasonably quick manner.

 Something which has very complex scripting things but can't examine structures
withing crossfire won't do a lot of good.

 As a side note - once crossfire goes to true client/server, the only external
libs it will use are libc, socket, and maybe nsl.  So the amount of external
libraries would be much smaller.

--

-- Mark Wedel
mark@pyramid.com