Re: CF: more updates soon, comments/votes requested

David Andrew Michael Noelle wrote:

> Steven Lembark wrote:
> > i'd vote for #3 w/ a compile-time option for turning it
> > off (sort of like berserk mode).  if you want a site where
> > folks are polite to one another you can have it.  if you
> > want a site where players can drain each other do that
> > also (my server would be the former, mind you).
>
> Mark Wedel wrote:
> >  Actually, if you want players to be more aggressive, then #2 is
> > probably a better idea.  The problem as stated with #3 is that
> > players (if they have some restore potions), can basically get
> > infinite exp.  Probably not a good idea on any server, with or
> > without config option.
>
> How's that?  If players don't get any of the experience they drain
> from other players, how do they get infinite exp from restore potions?

 I was more responding to the point that it could be turned off.  What exactly
it means to be turned off is a matter of debate - I was more going on what
happens when you do turn it off.

 If just turning it off means players can drain exp from other players and also
use restore potions, you get the problem I describe above.

 IF turning it off gets other behaviour, then who knows how it will shift player
balance.

 But i think from what I typed above, saying the feature is 'on' or 'off' is
difficult to understand, as allowing draing from other players also necessitates
a change in the restore mechanism.

 But as I think about it, there are some other options.  For example, you could
allow players to drain from other players but only in cases where it restores
previously lost exp.

 The net sum in exp is 0 - what changes is where that drained exp is allocated.
I'm not sure if this is a good idea, because it then means a party can basically
concentrate all the drained exp into one character, and then just have that one
character use a restore potion.

 I'm still a little concerned that by being able to regain lost exp, there
really won't be much fear of monsters that drain.  One thought on this is to
allow the bulk of drained exp to be regained, but some (say 10%) is lost
forever.  This way, there is still some permanent effect of being drained.