Re: CF: more updates soon, comments/votes requested

> Date: Fri, 08 Oct 1999 20:51:35 -0700
> From: Mark Wedel <mwedel@scruznet.com>
>
>  I was more responding to the point that it could be turned off.
> What exactly it means to be turned off is a matter of debate - I was
> more going on what happens when you do turn it off.
>
>  If just turning it off means players can drain exp from other
> players and also use restore potions, you get the problem I describe
> above.
>
>  IF turning it off gets other behaviour, then who knows how it will
> shift player balance.
>
>  But i think from what I typed above, saying the feature is 'on' or
> 'off' is difficult to understand, as allowing draing from other
> players also necessitates a change in the restore mechanism.

Maybe if enabling experience restoration disabled player vs. player
drain, it could be set up as a switch, but I don't really like the
idea of making both of those optional.  Too hard to balance.

>  But as I think about it, there are some other options.  For
> example, you could allow players to drain from other players but
> only in cases where it restores previously lost exp.
>
>  The net sum in exp is 0 - what changes is where that drained exp is
> allocated.  I'm not sure if this is a good idea, because it then
> means a party can basically concentrate all the drained exp into one
> character, and then just have that one character use a restore
> potion.

Not quite.  The other players could only restore their physique
experience by attacking with drain.  Drain lowers the victims total
experience and lowers each experience category by the same percentage,
but gives the attacker only the type of experience they attack with.

If players attack each other until their physique experience is back
where it should be, except for the one who's getting drained of
course, they'll still be short on total experience and all their
secondary skills, like mental and agility.  Still, I'd rather make
player vs. player drain either give the attacker experience or not.

>  I'm still a little concerned that by being able to regain lost exp,
> there really won't be much fear of monsters that drain.  One thought
> on this is to allow the bulk of drained exp to be regained, but some
> (say 10%) is lost forever.  This way, there is still some permanent
> effect of being drained.

That sounds reasonable.  Instead of 10%, I'd say 5%-25% based on the
damage done and/or attacker's level, since drain currently is not
affected by either of those factors.

--
            -Dave Noelle,                 dave@Straylight.org
            -the Villa Straylight,  http://www.straylight.org

Quote of the Day:
Cats took many thousands of years to domesticate humans.