Re: [TCLUG:16986] upgrading Debian

Debian net-install is annoying if you have _any_ hardware that isn't on
the base disk (that %$#& 3MB drivers.tgz download...). A properly built
Debian CD can be much more pleasant to install from than RH, Caldera, or
<shudder> Corel. I have encountered very few properly built Debian CD's.

I continue using Debian at all because the package management is so solid.
Not just for installing new packages, lots of package managers get that
right, but for *REMOVING* software that I am done with (or seeing if I am
actually done with a piece of software).

1. Enter [S]elect
2. /package-name
3. Mark the package for removal
4. If there are any packages that depend on the package just marked for
   removal, dselect pops up a sub-selection menu including those packages,
   any alternatives, and alternatives for the package being removed.
5. On this (usually much smaller) menu make your package selections to
   get to what you really wanted.
6. If you are happy with the new status, <return> and [I]nstall/[R]emove
   to commit and implement, otherwise Q to quit out of the selection menu
   and discard the changes.

Yeah, a bit clunky, not at all pretty, but AMAZINGLY powerful.

I love it.

Try doing the same thing with glint and you have to backtrack all the
depends by hand, and you don't really get a good idea of the full extent
of a large set of changes until you are halfway through it.