Re: [TCLUG:17041] <OT:anti-M$> *scary* stuff...

Nick.T.Reinking@supervalu.com wrote:

> Seriously, tho, I'd like to make a point.  It seems to me
> that the vast majority of these highly intelligent Linux
> users can't keep a Windows box going at all.  You'd
> think that some of the smartest computer people out
> there wouldn't find this so difficult.
>
> I have had both Windows boxes that have been up
> for a couple months, and Linux boxes that have been
> up for a couple months all the time.  (I make a lot of
> hardware upgrades, so don't give me the "I've had
> uptimes of 13 years" thing).  What seems to be the
> problem, here?
>
> I'm running Win2k on my PIII 600E (overclocked to 800!)
> on my desktop at home, and it is rock-solid stable.
> Additionally, I push my machines a lot harder than
> the vast majority of users out there.  I also have a Linux
> box running Slackware on a PPro 200 with an off-brand
> motherboard, and it seems to be running rock-solid,
> also.  Neither one of these was terribly difficult to get
> going and running.  Why do all you obviously smart
> folks have so much trouble?   ;)

It's probably the problem of dealing with all the old crap. You have a
pretty new (and cool!) set and things are working well (as they should),
but in some organizations (my family, for instance) the capital just
isn't there to replace the crap stuff (old boxes that only run win95 at
a decent clip) with cool new stuff. The same goes for at least some
commercial organizations. So we have old hardware, old software,
problems, and complaints. It is unfortunate, but buying a new box isn't
always an option. :-(

--

I went to the eye doctor and found out I needed glasses for reading.
So,