Re: [TCLUG:17126] Uptimes

For me a system with an uptime over 2 months is either a production
system or one I haven't had time to play with for over 2 months ;)

See by previous message for my idea of "play".

On Wed, 3 May 2000, Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote:

>         avoiding reboots is a point of pride. :) truth be told, it's a bit
> silly; one really should reboot *any* machine occasionally, if only to make
> sure that it *will* reboot. also, applying kernel patches is a healthy thing
> to do.
Yeah, I've heard (UL I'm sure) about telco folks who had to reboot a
system that had been running for a couple of years and _many_ patches,
only to discover it wouldn't boot ;)

>         mostly people try to keep record uptimes (whatever the operating
> system) as a bragging right. to "prove" their superiority to other OSes, and
> their superiority to other users of that OS. mostly silly, yes; but no one
> ever accused humans of being entirely rational.

I think that is rather the point of most of this thread.

Daniel Taylor