Uptimes

>I've also had few problems with windows (98 here) being unstable.  I've got a
>Win98 only box at home that my girlfriend uses daily, and my longest uptime
>so far is 145 days (amazing, IMHO).
        I'm impressed. how do you measure your uptime, btw?
        Windows boxen *can* have good uptimes; I've got a win95c box here
that regularly stays up for months at at time. it does nothing but serve
small amounts of files. I've considered replacing it with a SAMBA box; but
like the saying goes "if it's not broken, don't fix it". besides, I need it
as my backup BBS management console when my workstation is broken.

>> Run Win98se on my home PC (AMD 450) and it's been up for 3 months straight
>> now with no crashes, or hangups.  But on a side note I don't understand why
>> you people avoid rebooting like the plague, someone enlighten me.

        avoiding reboots is a point of pride. :) truth be told, it's a bit
silly; one really should reboot *any* machine occasionally, if only to make
sure that it *will* reboot. also, applying kernel patches is a healthy thing
to do.
        mostly people try to keep record uptimes (whatever the operating
system) as a bragging right. to "prove" their superiority to other OSes, and
their superiority to other users of that OS. mostly silly, yes; but no one
ever accused humans of being entirely rational.

Carl Soderstrom
System Administrator    307 Brighton Ave.
Minnesota DHIA	        Buffalo, MN
carls@agritech.com      (763) 682-1091