Re: [TCLUG:17072] Rebuttal

I don't know a whole lot here, actually.

But if I want to change workgroups from SIGFS to TCLUG,
or I want to leave the SIGFS workgroup, and join a domain
(.sigfs.org), I have to authenticate to a PDC (I think?), and so
it does weird and funky things.  Again, I'm not an NT expert,
especially on server issues.  (this is like changing the hostname -
which I think you have to reboot to do in Linux.  Maybe not?)

And yes, you don't need to reboot to change IP addresses.
In fact, many things in Windows said they needed a reboot,
but really didn't.

Some good examples are removing/adding SCSI devices
devices (use the refresh command in the hardware device
manager), and changing DNS servers (just say you don't
want to reboot, and everything works just fine).

Nick Reinking

carls@agritech.com, on 05/03/2000 11:11:05 AM