RE: [TCLUG:17130] Dreamweaver (was: <OT:anti-M$> *scary* stuff...)

> I guess I'm very un-Stallman-like that way.  I'm sure he'd
> probably be upset with me.  :P  What do all you think?

	I agree with Stallman's mission, but I think that he engages in
advocacy too much, and not enough inquiry.  If he were to promote GNU in a
more Socratic technique (a-la using open-ended questions) he would allow
people to draw the conclusion that GNU is fundamentally about long-term
freedom.

	My biggest complaint with the high-powered apps, is that most of
them use secret techniques (APIs) and file formats to get the work done.
Before too long, you are dependent on the app not only to author data, but
to read it and edit it.  And ultimately this is what keeps customers coming
back to buy "upgrades."  You are free to use great tools, but only as the
vendor sees fit.  Thus the software is not yours, it's theirs.  There are no
other tools on the market that are like this.

	I think the biggest problem with the FSF is that people who aren't
aware of the real issues desire to remain ignorant.  They don't want to
think, because it might require effort, and it might challenge their
fundamental assumptions.

	Mark