Re: [TCLUG:18338] openssh upgrade...

On Wed, May 31, 2000 at 09:36:06AM -0500, Kevin R. Bullock wrote:
>On Wed, 31 May 2000, Kent Schumacher wrote:
>
>I may be a little behind, but will rpm actually search an FTP server's
>database and download and install all the necessary packages in one go? Last
>I checked the "easy update path" was up2date, which requires you to have a
>serial number (i.e. you have to buy the shrink-wrapped box). Help me out if
>I'm wrong -- this would simplify my life on my RedHat install immensely.

In truth this is what I thought too, I dealt with RH for a month or so before
I changed all the boxen here at work to Debian and I saw the same thing.
up2date was really fussy and seemed to die due to all sorts of stuff. And
required a web browser (X based too I think) and was really klunky. It's a
great idea but one that isn't really practical for a headless server with no X
IMHO.

>And I still maintain that Debian's collection of packages is more accessible
>and better organized (compare ftp.redhat.com/whatever/RPMS/ to
>ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/whatever/ sometime -- or compare rpmfind.net to
>packages.debian.org). It's more of the cathedral than the bazaar (oh lordy),
>but I have no problem with that (and cathedral vs. bazaar a.k.a. RMS vs. ESR
>is another debate entirely). It ends up better organized and more accessible
>-- and freedom, accessibility, is what Linux is all about, right?

I agree whole-heartedly. But maybe it's because I am so comf÷rtable with debs
and Debian in general.

>Note: Not trying to win any converts here. ;p Just making a point.

Noted

--
Ben Lutgens  xAdministrator CS Solutions Inc |WinNT BSOD Security model:
1821 University Ave, St. Paul, Mn	     |"Can't crack it if it's crashed.