[VANILLA-L:566] Re: XSG to use gzip?

> > You could use zlib, which is essentially gzip in a C library accessible
> > format.  Very easy.
>
> Yes, sounds good.  Got a pointer?  I'd expect to place critical parts of the
> library within the Vanilla source structure.  Don't like dependencies.

Yeah, the primary distribution site is:
zlib-1.0.4              03/27/97  ftp.cdrom.com:/pub/infozip/zlib/

This is mirrored in other places like ftp.uu.net.

Note that zlib is an independent implementation of LZ77 (same used by
gzip and zip) that is not under the GPL license, like gzip is.

Also, zlib is designed to be a completely separate module/library.
It would be better, from XSG's point of view, to assume that it's
writing to an uncompressed stream and let zlib (or any replacement
program in the future) handle the compression.  Putting a working copy
of zlib, like gmp-1.3.2, in the source tree would minimize compatibility
issues or questions like "where is zlib", but I wouldn't merge any
part of actual zlib code into the XSG source tree.

Dave.
--
Dave Ahn,  ahn@vec.bgsm.edu             "When you were born you cried, and the
           ahn@indigo2.rad.bgsm.edu      world rejoiced.  Try to live your life