Vanilla List Maling List Archive

[VANILLA-L:1490] Re: [VANILLA-L:1486] Client information

On Wed, Feb 17, 1999 at 06:23:17AM -0500, Darryl Palmer wrote:
> I have a question, for what purpose does the server make available the
> network address and userid of everyone playing?

In the past, Win* players were few and far between.  Folks were recognized
by their user@host ID rather than some random handle.  I don't see any
benefit of not having it; in fact, without the ID, it would be easy to
impersonate someone else.

What I don't like is the truncation of the host field to 15 chars.  Hostnames
these days are so long (especially with verbose dynamic PPP addresses) that
I can't recognize people I already know.  Since we can't change the length
without breaking the s/c protocol, I suggest truncating the host field from
the back.  For example, user@ppp-host-123-456-789.dialup.whatever.com would
become user@#p.whatever.com instead of user@ppp-host-123-45.
            ^ to indicate truncation

Either that or always using numeric IP.

--
Dave Ahn <ahn@vec.wfubmc.edu>        |  "When you were born, you cried and the
                                     |  world rejoiced.  Try to live your life
Virtual Endoscopy Center             |  so that when you die, you will rejoice
Wake Forest Univ. School of Medicine |  and the world will cry."  -1/2 jj^2
+