Vanilla List Mailing List Archive

Re: [VANILLA-LIST:3059] wish: authenticated access for bypassingbans

On Thu, 23 Mar 2000, Dave Ahn wrote:
> > How about this.  Add a new player command called "BAN".  In order to ban a
> [...]
> > necessary to be banned.  In order to come back, he'll have to get a new IP
> > address.  Probably by disconnecting his modem and re-connecting.  When he
>
> I contend that this system would be very prone to abuse with such a low
> vote requirement.  If anything, it should be harder to ban someone than

You deleted the bit where I explained about a bannable file.  Only people from
domains in the this file can be effected by the BAN command.  It would be hard
to abuse, because the only players it would effect are those who can't even
play now.  For people comming from uunet, the choice between not being able to
play at all, or being able to play but being easily ejectable, is a pretty
easy one.

> to eject them.  And if that is the case, it is more likely that annoyed
> players will quit instead of trying to ban the twink 5 times in a row.

Oh, I don't know about that.  It seems to me that there a quite a few players
who enjoy ejecting people.  Hell, look at IRC, the main purpose of which is to
form channels so that you get to kick others out to them.