Vanilla List Mailing List Archive

Re: [VANILLA-LIST:3115] Monitoring Netrek Services

In previous mail, Karthik Arumugham spouted...

> Can you have remote probes? It would be interesting to put some ping
> probes remotely. This could be used to see if the server is lagging at
> specific times of the day, or to check against when people email you and
> complain about lag.

	In a manner of speaking; there is a client-server implementation that
	runs under perl and uses encryption to protect data in transit.

	I have been running netsaint now in a production environment for over
	6 months - it is one of the nicest packages available via open-source
	for service and host monitoring.

	If you would like, I would be more than happy to add a contact and
	host group for continuum/the metaserver and any other servers that
	folks you care to have monitored.

> As for seeing if the server's actually up, this might be difficult. There
> can be cases where strange problems occur and you can connect to the
> server, but can't join a team, or everyone instantly ghostbusts, etc. But
> just connecting to port 2591 should tell you in general if it's up.

	How about the stat port?  Is that active on most servers?  Perhaps
	the player port (to ensure metaserver connectivity to the host or
	similar)?

	I am sure an intelligent monitor could be applied to trap most, if
	not all cases of non-playability.  The clients in existance currently
	for netsaint (some, at least) have protocol monitoring in-place to
	ensure that not only is the service reachable (telnet host port) but
	that the service that is hanging off that port is acting in an intel-
	ligent manner and functioning properly.

							John