Vanilla List Mailing List Archive

Re: [VANILLA-LIST:3115] Monitoring Netrek Services

Quoting Bob Tanner <tanner@real-time.com>:

> What is necessary to determine that netrek server is up and running?

Check the metaserver?  *grin*

> Is the agent as simple as telnetting to port 2591?

No, not quite enough.  Telnetting to 2591 will tell you that
netrekd/newstartd is up an running, but not if the game is hosed.
I mean, the shmem segment may be corrupted and the daemon can't run,
ntservs can't connect to shmem segment, etc....

Can you parse the outputs of the telnet and feed input?  If so, you
can look at the metaserver code and see what connects to 'port' and
not 'port-1' are doing.  If the metaserver connects to 'port' it
actually connects as a player and parses the MOTD and player info.
scan.c and server.c

--Carlos V.