Re: (ASCEND) Ap36 release notes page v.

On Wed, Dec 10, 1997 at 12:19:25AM -0500, Jason Nealis wrote:

>  What I have seen is this :
>
>  After the NVRAM is performed the box of course resets, After finishing
> the self-test the box will come back up for approx 10 seconds, Your able
> to telnet to it, etc.. Then the box resets again.
>
>  I've also seen after the 4004 resets the first time, It comes back up
> with NO configurations, Everything is pretty much defaulted, (pretty
> scary) but then it resets again and pulls in the config, Pretty cool

This is the behavior since flash saving of the config exists. Of course
the Max will only reset a second time if it finds a valid config in the
flash. This happens automatically with tloadcode because tloadcode does
a fsave prior to the uprgade on its own. If one, however, has never
done an fsave and upgrades using XModem, the config is lost and the
Max won't reboot a second time because no config is available in flash
to be restored. Essentially this means: NEVER upgrade using terminal
except you know what you are doing and why (f.i. playing games with the
rom monitor to kill a forgotten password). Use TFTP. Works almost flaw-
less then. And use nvramclear after tloadcode. While reset should work as
well and has worked well some time ago (the Max invalidates an NVRAM
config that was not written by the same software version anyway), newer
versions for some reason behave better when explicitely stripped upon
upgrade.

--

Kanther-Line: PGP SSH IDEA MD5 GOST RIPE-MD160 3DES RSA FEAL32 RC4

| o |               \\\- Brain Inside -///                   | o |
| o | Andre' Beck (ABPSoft) beck@ibh-dd.de XLink PoP Dresden | o |