(ASCEND) Re: TNT and ISDN

>There are known issues with ISDN calls all the way up to 1.3Ap17 (which is
>not a public release).  After months of problems with ours, I finally
>moved all of our ISDN people to 400x's, and threw all the analog dialups
>on the TNT.  I'm now running 8 PRI's into the TNT, and have nothing but
>56k modems installed.  1.3Ap17 seems (to me) to be the most stable release
>in awhile. No real problems yet. (knock knock)
>
>1.3Ap20 is to be released sometime very shortly if it hasn't been done
>already this week, and should address the ISDN issue -- or at least thats
>what I've been told.

We run analog and ISDN into our TNT (1.3Ap13), and generally it works fine.
We got bitten by that ISDN bug at one point, but it seems to be fixed in
1.3Ap13. I believe Ap13 was pulled for problems under heavy load; our TNT
is bored, to say the least, so Ap13 has been better than previous releases
for us.

There are some serious remaining bugs, the worst being the TNT misrouting
traffic to the wrong WAN port. When you trace to one user, you get another
user! This problem, TR 2537, is apparently fixed in 1.3Ap17, as well as
2.0b1, but not in any mainstream release. This is a serious problem,
especially as I want to move all my traffic off my 4000 and onto the TNT,
but right now I've had to move affected users to the 4000 _from_ the TNT.
This makes for long-distance calls for those users, which I get to pay for.
:-(

I'm fervently hoping that some release gets the few crippling bugs fixed
soon. I think the TNT (and the 4000) are great products from a great
company, but man, when they have problems it _hurts_.

Having Ascend sit on the fixes, even though I'm sure they have excellent
reasons, is painful, to say the least.

Peter Lalor
Infoasis
plalor@infoasis.com