Re: (ASCEND) Getting USR Sportsters to behave...

On Thu, Dec 11, 1997 at 05:44:42PM -0500, Alex P wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I was just going through my RADIUS logs, and noticed something
> interesting.  One of the customers who has been complaining about
> connections that stay up, but just die, (as Jason put it, "the dead IP
> issue) They all have the following entry:
>
> Ascend-First-Dest = 169.132.255.255
>                     ^^^^^^^
>                This part is one of my blocks.
>
> I'm wondering how the .255.255's keep getting in there.  I have my techs
> checking her setup again, but though I'd pass this on.

Looks like the typical "Windows NT wrong netmask" problem. Dumb
average user configures IP address on NT and doesn't know what
a netmask is. He takes the default, which is 255.255.0.0 for some
strange reason (even when a Class C address is entered). It is
255.255.0.0 by default anyway with the above as this is a Class B (or
was one to be more exact ;). Now the NT box starts to broadcast
netbios trash to 169.132.255.255 and a router with a correct netmask
dials out. I have seen that Win95, when getting an address like
169.132.22.22 assigned via DUN actually adds a classful route via
this DUN interface to 169.132/16 (!!!) and thus would also route
a broadcast like the above to the other side (and even more strange,
let anything in 169.132/16 disappear from any other interface, so if
you may have 169.132.99/24 on your ethernet it becomes suddenly un-
reachable when DUN is up cause all stuff is routed outwards...).

Then again, maybe it is something completely different ;)

--

Kanther-Line: PGP SSH IDEA MD5 GOST RIPE-MD160 3DES RSA FEAL32 RC4

| o |               \\\- Brain Inside -///                   | o |
| o | Andre' Beck (ABPSoft) beck@ibh-dd.de XLink PoP Dresden | o |