Re: (ASCEND) Dialing into Max200 with ARA/OT on PowerBooks

  >However, one of the executives just got a PowerBook 3400, which required
  >going to Open Transport.  And this problem popped up:  If she dials in with
  >ARA, disconnects, and re-connects without rebooting or resetting her Open
  >Transport TCP/IP settings (switching to PPP then back to MacIP, or some
  >such) the machine holds on to the old IP address instead of getting the new
  >one from the server.  And so nothing IP-based will go over the connection.
  >No such problem exists for  PPP connections; unfortunately, even if we
  >bought a PPP stack that supported ATCP (AppleTalk over PPP), it's still not
  >officially supported by Ascend yet (as the latest long discussions have
  >shown).

Sounds like an OT problem, but the gotcha is clearly on the line above:
she runs a 3400.

  >FYI, this problem has been verified both in OT 1.1.1 and 1.1.2.

There.  An excerpt from my trustworthy MacFixIt page:

  |IMPORTANT: Because OT 1.1.2 was released before the PowerBook 3400, some
  |of the resources in OT 1.1.2 are older than what is required for the
  |PowerBook 3400. Customers with a PowerBook 3400 computer who require OT
  |1.1.2 need to follow a specific installation order to ensure
  |compatibility. After installing OT 1.1.2 on a PowerBook 3400, customers
  |must immediately install Mac OS 7.6.1 Update for PowerBook 3400. This
  |will update the appropriate localtalk resources. Problems with older
  |resources are evident when switching between Infrared and LocalTalk. If
  |you experience problems when switching networks, you should reinstall
  |the Mac OS 7.6.1 Update.

Brian didn't mention which System Software her 3400 runs, so here's my
two yen.  Tell her to obtain the MacOS 7.6.1 Update *for* PowerBook 3400
and follow the installation instruction there, *specific* to 3400s.
Although the note above states that problems are with IrTalk and
LocalTalk, it should definitely sound worth a try.

Or, simply revert to what came with 3400.  A clean reinstallation from
the CD-ROM and stick with it.  See if it changes her problem after
correcting the resouces inconsistency.

hth,
junichi