(ASCEND) USR V.42bis problem update

I don't know if this is formally acknowledged by USR yet,
but there was a fix for the V.42bis problem in their Sportster
and X2 modems code:

>>The 7/8/97 and 9/5/97 code from USR fixes the
>>V42bis problem.

Older Sportster modems did NOT have this problem - it appears it was
introduced sometime late last year, but I don't have exact dates on
their firmwares. The fixes are confirmed in the releases mentioned
above.

The workaround for "problem" modems was/is to disable V.42bis.

Kevin