RE: (ASCEND) MAX, V.110 and GSM

Peter,

We have very successfully set up a MAX 2000 with V.110 modem card and
use Nokia 9000 GSM phones. The settings on the MAX are fairly standard
(see below) but to get it to fly we had to set a parameter on the Nokia
to make it choose an ISDN call rather than an ordinary analogue call. On
the 9000, in the modem connection configuration, set ATS35=0.

Using a RADIUS profile (where 01223xxxxxxxx is my nokia's tel.no.):

01223xxxxxxxx Password = "Ascend-CLID"
 Ascend-Require-Auth = Not-Require-Auth,
 Ascend-Assign-IP-Pool = 1,
 Ascend-Route-IP = Route-IP-Yes,
 Framed-Protocol = PPP,
 Ascend-Link-Compression = Link-Comp-Stac

The Answer profile has Profile Reqd = Yes, and Id Auth=Prefer

This works just fine BUT takes 15 seconds to connect the call.

If I setup a local profile on the MAX with the equivalent settings, then
the Nokia connects in 4-5 seconds. I had a series of discussions with
Ascend tech support who were able to duplicate this faulty behaviour but
couldn't fix it, so for the moment I have to live with a few fast
connecting users and the rest who have to put up with a sluggish RADIUS
authenticated connection.

Hope this helps

Philip Ross

p.s.
I am running 5.0Ap27 on the MAX2000, and Ascend Access Control 1.0Ai7 on
NT as the Radius server.