Re: (ASCEND) Re: sigh (bitching)

On Tue, 21 Oct 1997, Matt Crawford wrote:
[snip]
> On the plus side for Ascend, the roving regional engineer came out to
> get us started and was a big help in checking the provisioning of our
> PRIs and giving a tour of the management interface.  But his
> knowledge only goes so far.

I had similar experiences with Chris Allen and Jahan Jaberi, Ascend
engineers on the road/plane/etc.  They were very brilliant in what they
did know. I was impressed by that and _almost_ made me feel as if it were
worth it for them to come out as far as they did.  However, after noting
that they were lacking in critical elements, it put out the glimmering
light of hope that they did represent.

> Questions to support@ascend.com by email get an automated response
> with a case number assignment and then, typically, zilch.  Phone
> calls to the 800 number result in a return call about 6 or 7 in the
> evening with no useful content except an instruction to call back at
> the 800 number again, and the cycle repeats.
[snip]

I have specifically requested the call director to instruct the
engineer/tech drone such that if he/she calls after 5pm my time (don't
they have clocks??) to call back the next business day.  Either she's not
delivering the message, or the tech can't read.  I've gotten several calls
stating "We received your call, this is Ascend tech support. Regarding
trouble ticket blah blah.  800-blahbla." Well, am I wrong?  6 or 7 in the
evening, especially when I specifically state as much, is not a standard
business day.  Is it a problem to call back the next day if you can't get
a hold of someone?  I do it all the time.

I hadn't even really thought of it until you mentioned it here. Hrm... I
wonder how far into /dev/null this will go before it reaches the abyss.
--
Joseph Hickman
  Director of Network Operations / System Administration