Re: (ASCEND) IfInOctets on Pipe130

        Shan Liang Yin noticed:

>I am trying use MRTG/snmpwalk to query the line utilization on 2 P130s
>(running 5.0Ap1,...

>...but it only shows me 2 index entries, one for the Console/RS-232 and
>the other for the BRI.
>
>On a MAX, the exact same MIB variables give me the Input and Output
>octet count for the frame-relay/ethernet/individual B-channels etc..
>
>Should I be using different MIB variables?

        No, the problem is that the Pipeline has laughable
        SNMP support.

        Upgrade the Pipeline to 5.1A, and you will then get
        a multitude of index entries, including the one(s)
        you want.  If you can figure out what all those entries
        are for, please post your findings/guesses!  :)

        If you are looking for an SNMP-readable ARP table, stop
        looking. Ascend (while claiming that the P130 is a router)
        does not seem to have gotten around to this yet.  For reasons
        still unknown, the P130 will show you the complete routing
        table and the complete address table, but cannot show you
        a simple ARP table.  The only work-around in this area is to
        grit your teeth, (mis)use your $30,000 workstation as a $250
        DEC VT-100, telnet to the Pipeline, and do a "show arp" from
        the terminal server prompt.

        If you are looking for an SNMP-readable FrCircuitEntry, or any
        of the other transmission-frame relay RFC tables, you can stop
        looking for them too.  Once again, one must telnet to the device.

        I was also lulled into thinking that the Pipeline SNMP support
        would be similar to the Max, given that they share the same MIBs.

        Ascend, be advised that there will be no more purchases of
        Pipelines by my facility or any of our customers and clients
        until there is at least minimal SNMP support for mission-critical
        items like ARP tables and FECN/BECN counts.  (I am not spending
        $5.6 Mil a year on toys to keep my NOCs up-to-date just so we can
        telnet to customer-premise "routers"!)

     Ignorance is much less a problem than "facts" which are not so.

james fischer                                jfischer@supercollider.com