Re: (ASCEND) IfInOctets on Pipe130

James,

You are correct about the 5.1A release.  I happen to have an engineering
release for the P-130 and have checked these things since obviously
NavisAccess relies on SNMP - we too need these things.

1) The ARP table is fixed.

2) We set up a FR connection and created a MIB Profile and browsed the
FRCircuitEntry - that returned all the correct values as well now.

As I get more info on what <underline>released</underline> version will
have this FR SNMP support I'll keep you posted.

Donna

At 10:45 PM 10/23/97 +0000, James Fischer wrote:

>        Shan Liang Yin noticed:

>>I am trying use MRTG/snmpwalk to query the line utilization on 2
P130s

>>(running 5.0Ap1,...

>>...but it only shows me 2 index entries, one for the Console/RS-232 and

>>the other for the BRI.

>>On a MAX, the exact same MIB variables give me the Input and Output

>>octet count for the frame-relay/ethernet/individual B-channels etc..

>>Should I be using different MIB variables?

>        No, the problem is that the Pipeline has laughable

>        SNMP support.

>        Upgrade the Pipeline to 5.1A, and you will then get

>        a multitude of index entries, including the one(s)

>        you want.  If you can figure out what all those entries

>        are for, please post your findings/guesses!  :)

>        If you are looking for an SNMP-readable ARP table, stop

>        looking. Ascend (while claiming that the P130 is a router)

>        does not seem to have gotten around to this yet.  For reasons

>        still unknown, the P130 will show you the complete routing

>        table and the complete address table, but cannot show you

>        a simple ARP table.  The only work-around in this area is to

>        grit your teeth, (mis)use your $30,000 workstation as a $250

>        DEC VT-100, telnet to the Pipeline, and do a "show arp" from

>        the terminal server prompt.

>        If you are looking for an SNMP-readable FrCircuitEntry, or any

>        of the other transmission-frame relay RFC tables, you can stop

>        looking for them too.  Once again, one must telnet to the
device.

>        I was also lulled into thinking that the Pipeline SNMP support

>        would be similar to the Max, given that they share the same
MIBs.

>        Ascend, be advised that there will be no more purchases of

>        Pipelines by my facility or any of our customers and clients

>        until there is at least minimal SNMP support for
mission-critical

>        items like ARP tables and FECN/BECN counts.  (I am not spending

>        $5.6 Mil a year on toys to keep my NOCs up-to-date just so we
can

jfischer@supercollider.com