Re: (ASCEND) IP leaks in 6.1.3 AND 7.0b0

At 04:51 PM 8/3/98 -0500, Dave McFerren wrote:
>I would like to know this too!  I have been waiting since Feb. for some code
>that I could run without problems for v.90, and have yet to find one.  I
will
>continue to run the ap48 until something better is released.  I have been
>telling our customers since March/April that "just another 4 to 6 weeks and
>ascend will release a stable version of the v.90 code". Then out pops
another
>release with the same problems.

Yes we are quite aware of the problem and are working on it very hard. We
do a lot of testing for each release. But as some of you have noted, 6.1.3
still had problems in certain environments. As others have noted, it works
just fine in their environments.

So due in a big way to the complaints that are registered on this email
list, we've added more tests for the next release. Yes our test people do
listen and it is helpful when you can publish your problem in as much
detail as possible AND copy customer support as well.

So now each week or two we are producing new code and running it through
regression testing. Even though the code works very well in what we believe
are most customer sites, we might hold it back since it failed a couple of
seemingly obscure tests. Since we've had a lot of complaints lately, we are
being much more cautious as usual.

All I can say now is that we have a current load that looks very good for
V.90 and we are putting it through a long and heavy regression test.

Also remember that Ascend has over 70% of the PRI access market. That means
that we have to operate in far more diverse conditions than products from
other vendors. That makes the testing cycle last longer.

And for those who are thinking about 6.1 but haven't tried it, it is
working just fine in many environments today.

Matt Holdrege		http://www.ascend.com	matt@ascend.com