Re: (ASCEND) Digital line quality issues

I've not seen any mention on this list of the phone line quality test
number provided by 3Com, aka, US Robotics.

An indication of whether 56Kb connection is possible is given, plus some
stats about the connection are provided as well as a frequency
distrabution graph of the callers phone line.

Does Ascend provide anything like this?

With a V.34 modem or better and terminal session software(HyperTerminal,
etc.):

1) Call 1-(847) 262-6000 (This is a long distance call about 2 minutes
   in length.)

2) When asked about graphics, press Enter.

3) When asked for first name, enter:  line

4) When asked for last name, enter:   test

5) When asked if you want more information, press Enter.

Depending on your terminal's graphics settings/abilities the
graphics may look a bit funky, but the information is still there.

We are finding this most helpful in allowing users to know for
themselves if 56Kb modems will work for them as well as giving us
some idea as to the varing line quality in various parts of our
surrounding city and county.

-jscott-
--
|J. Scott Williams, BH 346A  Ph: (360) 650-2868  FAX: (360) 650-7323 |
|Admin. Computing Services   Internet:  scott@cc.wwu.edu             |