Re: (ASCEND) Digital line quality issues

At 12:07 PM 8/12/98 -0700, you wrote:
>I've not seen any mention on this list of the phone line quality test
>number provided by 3Com, aka, US Robotics.
>
>An indication of whether 56Kb connection is possible is given, plus some
>stats about the connection are provided as well as a frequency
>distrabution graph of the callers phone line.
>
>Does Ascend provide anything like this?

 This is all I got in ref to what Ascend Provides, and it's more to test
the Thruput after already buying a 56K Modem vs telling a user/test to see
if a person's line is/isn't 56K enabled at all.. Per these instructions
that I saved off an Ascend Site several months ago:

Objective: The purpose of this test is to connect to an Ascend K56flex
modem using your own K56flex modem and then surf the Ascend web site on the
Internet, or transfer standard size files from the FTP server
(208.205.255.33/24) on this site.

------Ascend Site Faq Sheet ref 56K Test---------
Assumptions:

•Your PC has TCP/IP stack software enabled on it. •You have succesfully
configured and tested your PC to work properly with a dialer program (such
as Chameleon custom, or Windows95 dial up networking).

Procedure:

1.Configure your TCP/IP Software to obtain its IP address dynamically from
the Ascend product.
2.If your IP stack software requires you to set a default gateway, and DNS
information in order to surf the Web, use the following:
•Default Gateway: 208.205.255.40/24
•DNS: 198.6.1.1
3.Using your dial up program, dial 800-320-4509 or the alternate number,
(510) 749-3637, with the following login information:
•Login name: cs
•Password: tac
4.If your IP stack is not configured to automatically start ppp, then you
need to issue "ppp" command from the command prompt.
5.You will be authenticated and connected to the Ascend Test Site
6.From your PC, ping the Ascend MAX (208.205.255.41).
7.From your PC, ping the FTP Server (208.205.255.33)
8.You can now surf the Ascend web site on the Internet through the Test
Site (using an HTML browser, such as Netscape or Windows95 Explorer).
9.If you want to do throughput testing, FTP to 208.205.255.33, and log in
as anonymous. There will be standard size files that you can pull down in
order to check your throughput.
10.To check the version of your K56flex modem use the modem command ATI3.
11.To check the transmit/receive level and quality use the modem command
AT&V1.

---- End Ascend Stuff ----------

>etc.): USR Test Line
>
>1) Call 1-(847) 262-6000 (This is a long distance call about 2 minutes
>   in length.)

 Used to be nice when it was a 1-888 call :-) But I still recommend all my
users thinking about upgrading first call this number to see if they should
even go out an buy (no brand recommendation) modem at all!

***** Top Net InterNet Services *****
Omaha, Nebraska         Husker Heaven
www.top.net            (402) 291-1542
 Visit Our BBS at: www.hawgwild.com