CF: Re: Temples of Scorn / New Pantheon

> > We need temple maps for
> >      Jehovah  (The New Church?)
>
> I thought that we would remove Jehovah and Lucifer and replace them
> by some other gods, as someone suggested last month.  What's the
> status of that?

By now I've tested the changed religions, and they seem to work out well.
I got several mails concerning the new gods, most seem to approve of the
changes.

In the old version you could only choose Jehovah as a god, now all are
more or less equal - Jehovah (now Valriel) has been downgraded, while the
others have been strengthened. I'll put a list of the changes at the end
of the mail, for all those who're interested, and I'll also post a
patchfile to the mailinglist ("patch <arch.path", then designating the old
archetype file) in another mail.

Another point I'd like to discuss though: As it is now (and also in all
the versions before), it is possible for a character to bless a weapon on
an altar from his god. Afterwards, he gives the weapon to another
character (either of the same player, or any other) who follows another
god, and the weapon gets blessed again - and again... This results in
weapons with a REAL lot of attacktypes. While this is certainly a help for
future superheroes I don't think it's realistic. No god would bless a
weapon which belongs to an opponent of him, without destroying the other's
blessing first - and the god who blessed it first might send angels or
other minions to retrieve the weapon and/or punish the blasphemer...

Also, weapons with all attacktypes on them are somewhat boring... ("ah,
you got that standard highpower superweapon, too? - how surprising...")

Perhaps we should add some kind of flag to a blesses weapon so that this
kind of thing won't work anymore. (It makes things easier, and my
characters also used this "feature"(bug?), but storywise its crap)

Changes to the Pantheon:
========================

I divided the gods into three groups of 3 gods each, supernaturals
(angels-valriel, demons-Gorokh, undead-Devourers), elemental gods
(fire-Ruggili, air/lighting-Sorig, and life-Gaea) and the demihuman gods
(Mostrai for the dwarves, Lythander for elves, and Gnarg for goblins and
trolls). So the gods mostly stayed, one was added to them, and they were
grouped a bit differently... the major changes came with the abilities of
the gods

(btw, some even said I should have changed more, removing all gods and
creating an entire new pantheon. I prefer the changes as I made them
though, I wouldn't want to remove those gods that have been here for quite
some time)

Gnarg:
 I didn't change much here, except one major change that occured several
times: all those gods with an avatar that occupies 4 spaces instead of 2
had the avatars hps increased. This because area spells inflict more
damage due to the greater exposed area; also bigger monsters should be
able to take more hits.
 Also, trolls reputedly regenerating easily I removed the path_repelled
for restoration spells that was here before.
 Peter M asked me which gods would best support his disease code, a grant
disease spell would fit in greatly here (with perhaps Gaea given the spell
to heal diseases)

Lythander:
 Also had had the restoration spells repelled, this was removed. As I see
it healing spells are one of the important aspects of the gods and (except
in some cases like devourers) shouldn't be hindered.

Mostrai:
 The next god who had restoration repelled, that's gone now.
 The other significant change was the removal of the immunity to fire with
the holy possession prayer. Storywise protection is ok for a smith's god,
but not immunity (that's what the fire god Ruggili is there for). However,
this won't matter too much since there is an immunity to fire prayerbook
in the game, which anyone can use.

Gaea:
 Was one of the weakest (perhaps THE weakest before) - no weapons allowed,
all fire electricity cold missiles spells denied, no enemy special for
this cult (had undead, but Jehovah had undead & demons....)
 The weapon restriction stayed in (that is one of the features this
religion has and I didn't want to change the characteristics), the denied
spellpaths became repelled only (so it is now possible to cast fireballs
etc as follower of Gaea...), with the exception of Wounding and Death,
which are still denied (those were denied before, too, btw)
 With the change to Jehovah each set of enemies is now unique - there is
now only one cult who has undead as enemies, and it is this one. The
Valriel cult (Jehovahs successor) still has demons as enemies, but no more
undead. This should further strengthen Gaea cultists in comparison to
others.

Devourers:
 Were originally protected against fear, and could get immunities to fear
with the holy possession prayer. However, they were not immune to their
own attacktypes; while being undead they were still vulnerable to death
etc.
 So some protection/immunities were added: Drain, Depletion, and Death,
the three traditional undead attacktypes... (if they are already dead,
they shouldn't much fear those attacks, right?)

Ruggili:
 Avatar strengthened (2x2 squares size), and this cult is now the only one
that grants immunity to fire with the holy possession. The creation
spellpath was changed from denied to repelled.
 The other characteristics (No armour may be worn, reflecting missiles)
remained.

Gorokh:
 Instead of Lucifer. No elemental attacktypes anymore (I always wondered
why Lucifer had those, they'd fit in with an elemental-aspected god a lot
better), instead he has the attacktype fear now (more appropriate).
 In terms of abilities/spellpaths/protections he's now a dark mirror image
of Valriel.

Valriel:
 Undead removed as enemies. All other gods had one set of enemies (some
none at all), while Jehovah had 2, undead & demons. Even worse, those are
the two most common types with strong monsters in them. So, no banishing
undead anymore (that's now Gaea exclusively), but banishing demons still
works.
 Even so, I think it's still one of the strongest gods available (but I
didn't want to downgrad more, only to bring the cult to a comparable level
with the others)

Sorig:
 A new god added (just for ths symmetry of 3 groups with 3 gods each...),
with electricity attacktype/protection/etc. No special enemies, so cause
wounds is necessary to gain the first levels, restoration spellpath
repelled, protection, mind, and turning are denied (turning without
enemies wouldn't be much use anyway)

Complete list:
==============

God:		Gnarg
Enemy:		Lythander
Race:		Goblin Giant Troll
Slaying:	Faerie Dwarf
Attacktype:	Poison
Protected:	Poison
Immunity:	Poison
Vulnerable:	Fear
Attuned:	Missiles Wounding
Repelled:	Protection Turning
Denied:		-
Special:	-
Avatar:		2x2, 1000 hp, ac -5 wc -3 dam 50 armour 40

God:            Lythander
Enemy:          Gnarg
Race:           Faerie
Slaying:        Goblin Troll
Attacktype:     Confusion
Protected:      Confusion
Immunity:       Confusion
Vulnerable:     Confusion
Attuned:        Turning
Repelled:       Missiles Wounding
Denied:         -
Special:        -
Avatar:         1x1, 350 hp, ac -7 wc -1 dam 40 armour 50

God:            Mostrai
Enemy:          Gnarg
Race:           Dwarf
Slaying:        Goblin Giant
Attacktype:     Weaponmagic
Protected:      Fire
Immunity:       -
Vulnerable:     -
Attuned:        Creation Transmutation
Repelled:       Summoning
Denied:         -
Special:        -
Avatar:         1x1, 350 hp, ac -10 wc -6 dam 50 armour 75

God:            Gaea
Enemy:          Devourers
Race:           Animals Elementals ...
Slaying:        Undead Chess Unnatural
Attacktype:     Fear
Protected:      Drain Depletion Death
Immunity:       Drain Depeletion Death
Vulnerable:     Fear
Attuned:        Summoning Abjuration Creation Light Restoration
Repelled:       Fire Frost Electricity Missiles
Denied:         Wounding Death
Special:        hp_regen 2 gr_regen 3 no_weapons
Avatar:         2x2, 1000 hp, ac -5 wc -1 dam 50 armour 50

God:            Devourers
Enemy:          Gaea
Race:           Undead
Slaying:        -
Attacktype:     Drain Depletion Death
Protected:      Fear Drain Depletion Death
Immunity:       Fear Drain Depletion Death
Vulnerable:     Fire
Attuned:        Death
Repelled:       Protection Abjuration
Denied:         Fire Restoration Turning Light
Special:        undead hp_regen -1 hunger -3 infravision
Avatar:         1x1, 350 hp, ac -12 wc -1 dam 50 armour 0

God:            Ruggilli
Enemy:          -
Race:           Fire Creatures
Slaying:        -
Attacktype:     Physical Fire
Protected:      Physical Magical Fire
Immunity:       Fire
Vulnerable:     Cold
Attuned:        Fire Wounding
Repelled:       Restoration Information Frost Creation
Denied:         Protection Mind Turning Transmutation
Special:        reflect_missiles hp_regen 1 hunger 1 no_armour
Avatar:         2x2, 800 hp, ac -5 wc -3 dam 60 armour 20

God:            Gorokh
Enemy:          Valriel
Race:           Demon
Slaying:        Angel
Attacktype:     Fear
Protected:      Confusion Fear
Immunity:       Confusion Fear
Vulnerable:     -
Attuned:        Death Wounding
Repelled:       -
Denied:         Mind Protection
Special:        -
Avatar:         1x1, 350 hp, ac -5 wc -3 dam 50 armour 50

God:            Valriel
Enemy:          Gorokh
Race:           Angel
Slaying:        Demon
Attacktype:     Fear
Protected:      Confusion Fear
Immunity:       Confusion Fear
Vulnerable:     -
Attuned:        Mind Protection
Repelled:       -
Denied:         Death Wounding
Special:        -
Avatar:         1x1, 350 hp, ac -7 wc -1 dam 50 armour 50

God:            Sorig
Enemy:          -
Race:           Lightning and Air Elementals
Slaying:        -
Attacktype:     Electricity
Protected:      Electricity
Immunity:       Electricity
Vulnerable:     -
Attuned:        Electricity Wounding Missiles
Repelled:       Restoration
Denied:         Protection Mind Turning
Special:        -
Avatar:         1x1, 300 hp, ac -5 wc -1 dam 40 armour 40