Re: [TCLUG:17041] <OT:anti-M$> *scary* stuff...

I've never posted to the tclug list but I'll toss in my thoughts on the
discussion regarding the great Windows X and Linux treads going on.  I'm
amused with the examples people give for either OS that pretty much amount
to "Oh yeah, well I had this happen in X OS." or "Oh yeah, well X OS does
this and Y OS doesn't."  I'm also amused that this all could start with
someone reading a helpfile.  I think that's how it stated. :-)

Most of what I've seen has been trying to boost the image of one OS by
knocking another.  If I took everyone's statement to be fact all the time
I'd think all of these OSs are junk and never work.  That's not to say that
sometimes after a long day at work I don't actually think that about *inux,
MS software, and some other OSes :-)  There's no need to knock another piece
of software if yours works fine, let it stand on it's own.

Everyone has different good and bad experiences with a different OS, and
different OSs will do different things well and different things poorly at
different times.  Arguing that you had a bad experience with OS X with
someone says they had a good one (In my opinion) isn't going to change
anyone's opinion, especially the person whom says they enjoy how OS X works.
For those of you out there troubleshooting day in and day out saying "it
didn't work for me" or "it works all the time for me" doesn't mean a thing
without all the other info you need, and even then it doesn't mean it will
or won't happen again.

Regarding advocacy for any OS or any software I would suggest reading (yeah,
you've probably seen it before):
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/Advocacy-6.html

I'm sure I'll get a little flame here, but I'd suggest some people read this
as well.  Making a logical argument seems to be a problem with a few people.
Plenty of Red Herrings and circular reasoning out there.
http://webware.princeton.edu/Writing/logic-re.htm

-Mark M.