Re: [TCLUG:17041] <OT:anti-M$> *scary* stuff...

> Seriously, tho, I'd like to make a point.  It seems to me
> that the vast majority of these highly intelligent Linux
> users can't keep a Windows box going at all.

OK, vast majority is pretty loose statment and highly intellegent tossed
into those qualifiers makes the statement even weaker. I have yet to know
a highly intellegent Linux or Unix user who has any problems
administrating a Microsoft operating system. The issue is that many Linux
users probably don't want to administrate a Micrsoft server because they
think it's inferior on Linux and Unix and so it's a waste of time, in
their minds.

The most experienced Unix administrator, I know, says, NT is fine for
certain things. You wouldn't want to run millions of emails through it but
you could manage the email for a small business. If you have medium level
needs you'd use Linux and if you had high traffic you'd probably go with a
BSD.

You'd
> think that some of the smartest computer people out
> there wouldn't find this so difficult.
>
> I have had both Windows boxes that have been up
> for a couple months, and Linux boxes that have been
> up for a couple months all the time.

If you don't put them through any load they'll run fine
and a thousand e-mails a day probably doesn't constitue a load.

> I'm running Win2k on my PIII 600E (overclocked to 800!)
> on my desktop at home, and it is rock-solid stable.
> Additionally, I push my machines a lot harder than
> the vast majority of users out there.

Maybe you load them up more than most end users. But I doupt you're doing
anything that'll impress the majority of administrators and developers.

I've got two G4s, a couple G3s, two debian boxes and a RH box. Everyone of
them does what it's supposed to do. At this point in the game, I'm trying
to get everything I can out of each of them. I don't give a damned if
anyone does or doesn't like RH or Microsoft.

However, I'm highly interested in the OSS model vs the Closed Source
model. I know there are closed source products that are well supported and
the companies that develope them will probably be around for awhile. I
also know that Apache and Linux won't go away 'til a superior alternative
is offered. Those products appear to me to be virtually immune to the
whims of any economy unlike all commercial products. From this
perspective, I'd say the vast majority of users and businesses were sold
Florida swamp land at very high rates until a couple guys started selling
pieces of Manhatten which they call Linux and Apache. This line of
reasoning can be dragged out to the nth degree. I'm already bored with
myself.

Ultimately, I don't think you're wrong to find fault in some of the
attitudes that you're pointing a finger at. I'm pointing the finger back
at myself more and more. Keep on learning and experiencing, that's my
plan.

Ron

 I also have a Linux