Re: [TCLUG:17303] FreeBSD

On Sat, May 06, 2000 at 11:22:46PM -0500, Eric F Crist wrote:

>As it turns out, I'm getting hacked because of some well known exploits in my
>version of OL (2.3).

Examine your logs and run tripwire and other security monitoring tools. This
is good experience. (And replace Caldera with Debian ;-p)

>Thus, I have decided to move to FreeBSD 4.4 (I think that's the version that's
>out right now.).
>
>I was wondering if somebody could tell me some MAJOR differences (besides file
>locations) between standard linux and a BSD derivative.
One of the major differences that I can recall is that there is no make config
scripts for rebuilding the kernel. You have to edit the config file in the
kernel source tree and it isn't nearly as intuitive.
also I totally disliked the install.....

just .02
--
Ben Lutgens  xAdministrator CS Solutions Inc
1821 University Ave, St. Paul, Mn