[VANILLA-L:755] Re: [VANILLA-L:754] Re: [VANILLA-L:753] Re: [VANILLA-L:752] xsg

In trying to set-up my own server in Japan, (well, it is up and running) I've
noticed that in order to reduce network traffic, a lot of the initialization
code that should come from the server is already included in the client.  I
don't know how this could solve the problem of people hacking into Netrek's
password, but I think more initialization could be done from the server---
planet setup, ship stats, rank stats, etc.

If this were done how much longer would it take a player to log in if such
stats and error messages were kept only on the server?  I would like to
experiment a bit with the standard server, but in doing so, I would have to
modify many things on the client as well.. making it almost impossible to
change anything about the standard server.

Regarding illegitimate use of xtkill, etc.. can't you just limit access to
console usage only?  I remember Matt Savaaki setup a Diku mud (Sequent) where
the IMPlementor could only log on from a certain machine, etc.  Could the
same be done for xsg and xtkill without too much hassle?

Mark
BB-2
+
++ Vanilla-l Mailing List ++