Re: (ASCEND) Re: sigh (bitching)

On Mon, 20 Oct 1997, Kevin Smith wrote:

> At 02:37 PM 10/17/97 -0500, Joe Shaw wrote:
[snip]
> >Hmm, I don't know about you, but I can talk to a real support person at
> >Cisco faster than I can talk to a real (questionable) support person at
> >Ascend, and that's without a contract.

> We could take a vote on this, but it's OBVIOUS to me that different people are
> seeing different results. Just read over the archives of all the mailing lists
> and newsgroups, and you'll see testimonials from all sides. All of us get
> techs from the same "talent pool" and if you have had better luck with
> vendor A
> than vendor B - odds are that your neighbor had the opposite fortunes.

Heh.  I can say that it's taken anywhere between 5 seconds and 3 days for
Ascend tech support to call me back.  On average: 5 hours if I wait for
them to call me back, and 30 minutes to an hour if I wait on hold.  It's
like a gamble figuring it out.

It just seems like when I need the emergency help, I have to pull an arm
and a leg to get it done.  It's when the issue is not critical that I get
a call back almost immediately.

> As James said - in his experience.....and Steve Camas.....no doubt there are
> others to echo your sentiments too....

I can echo both sides.

[snip]
> OK, since others don't have this level of frustration....what could I/we do
> to help ?

It is presumptious to assume that because one does not see something it
does not exist.  Believe me, the president of the company for which I work
actually had to continue to go up the supervisory ladder until someone
finally gave me a straight answer on an issue we had a few months ago.  It
may not appear here in the list, but it does exist.  Yes, I have had the
frustration.  Do I now?  No.  Will I?  Odds are it's definitely likely,
but I'll deal with that when it occurs.
--
Joseph Hickman
  Director of Network Operations / System Administration