(ASCEND) Re: IDSL

> ------------------------------
>
> From: "Tony Ray" <Tony@turbonet.com>
> Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 11:01:59 -0700
> Subject: (ASCEND) IDSL anyone?
>
> Has anyone out there besides me been experimenting with IDSL?
>
> I've been going around and around with Ascend the last two weeks as well as
> GTE.  IDSL from my Max TNT to a Pipelin 25 works great with 30 feet of
> cable but at the end of a 13,200 foot line from GTE they stop talking.  GTE
> has tested the cable and it is all within specks for ISDN: no loads, no
> taps and a dc resistive load of 1300 ohms.  GTE tested the line at 82K with
> a loss of 41 dB which they say is fine for ISDN which has a carrier of 64K
> and is supposed to operate down to 42 dB.  In other words, they are saying
> if it is within specs at 82K, it should more than meet spec at 64K.  The
> loss was 7.1 dB at 1K if that helps.
>
> A scope put on the Max side sees a nice clean signal, correct voltages,
> steps and so on.  At the Pipeline end, it sees absolutely nothing except
> some 60 cycle hum even on a 50 microvolt scale.

Tony,

I've been away for a while, but I helped develop the IDSL at Ascend, and
tested it
with MFS/Datanet. MFS did exhaustive testing, using real telco loops, as
well as link simulators before accepting the IDSL development from
Ascend. -This does not mean that there might be some link condition that
would not work, or that the IDSL board/driver you have may be
defective... BUT, I would put my money on Ascend on this one, they use
world-industry ISDN components to drive that signal.

Know also that with de-regulation, all local telco's are required to
open their local loop to rental, and it has been my general observation
that some of the carrier tech groups seem to take that as a slap in the
face, and when something isn't working for the person renting the loop,
they almost go out of their way to "prove" it is not their fault...

> I've noticed that after a big ad campaign touting IDSL, US West suddenly
> backed out of

This is no news at all. US West has a long history of making big ad
campaigns and backing out of almost everything.